Shrimp & Pasta In A Tomato Cream Sauce
This shrimp and pasta recipe is the combination of a number of recipes found on the Internet coupled with our personal creativity.
The type and ripeness of the tomatoes used makes a big difference to the overall flavour. We have used both fresh and canned and that small change makes a major difference to the overall taste of the finished dish. Is one better than the other, we can't really say. They are different, but both are very good.
Try to use fresh rather than frozen spinach, as frozen spinach will add a lot of water to the dish.
We use Argentinean wild shrimps (#20/30) that have been frozen. The shells are still on, but the shrimp have been split down the back and the vein has been removed. We refreeze the shells to use in our shrimp stock.
- 8 oz penne style pasta
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 12 shrimp #20, cleaned and peeled
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, skin removed and chopped
- 6 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup 34% heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese at the table
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add half of the garlic and cook for about 20 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the Italian seasoning and a sprinkle of salt.
- Add half of the parsley and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove the shrimp, garlic and parsley from the sauté pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the sauté pan.
- Add the remaining garlic and the onion. Sauté on medium low heat until the onion has softened about 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium. Add the tomatoes and a sprinkle of salt. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Start cooking the penne pasta in a separate pot.
- Add the spinach to the sauté pan and allow it to wilt and become part of the sauce.
- Decrease the temperature of the sauté pan to medium low and slowly mix in the cream, stir.
- Add the cooked shrimp, garlic and parsley and all the juices back into the sauté pan.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
- Continue to sauté the sauce and shrimps until the pasta is ready.
- Using a spider strainer add the pasta to the sauté pan.
- Add in the shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and mix
Serve with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and the remaining parsley.